When you’re looking to buy a new or used caravan, there can be a lot to think about, what type of caravan you would like, what size do you need, what make or model… One thing you also need to consider is the insurance; it’s always a good idea to get some quotes before purchasing a caravan, as just like with cars, different caravans will carry different insurance premiums. But what do you know about caravan insurance? Here are some FAQ’s to ensure you’re all clued up when it comes to buying your caravan and your caravan insurance.
Do I Need Caravan Insurance?Yes you do, just like with any vehicle, it’s illegal not to insure your caravan. All vehicles used on the roads must be insured, not just to protect other road users but to protect your family and your possessions too.
What Should I Look for in an Insurance Policy?This will depend on several things:
- Who will be using your caravan, how often and why?
- As well as who will be towing your caravan?
What do I Need to Be Aware Of?Like with any insurance you should always check your policy carefully and ensure it covers everything you need and expect it to. You should check there is no age restrictions on your caravan and you should also check you policy covers the following:
- Contents cover if there is no forced entry
- Wear and tear
- Mildew and vermin damage
- Mechanical and electrical breakdown
- If you’re planning to use your caravan as a place of trade you need to make sure there are no exclusions on your policy.